5.6.10

I'm Walkin' On Sunshine

And don't it feel good! :] Bit tired right now. I used to think maybe you loved me, now baby I'm sure!

- I'm absolutely insane; this is a proven fact. I do things that no one else would do. -

Impression

There's a path between the blue hydrangeas,
that leads down to a tall azalea bush.
Like a puzzle, elaborate and inexplicable,
the azalea is sunset orange, the deep white
of twilight snow, the fluorescent pink of
post-it notes, and the dark red of her heart.

I find myself wondering how these azaleas came
to live so close to one another.
How they support where the other fails, a branch here,
a helping root there.

Is there nothing that can stop them?
I lean forward, feeling my knees fit themselves
into the earth, like eggs into a carton.
My hands squirm under the flowers,
and my body follows in one swift movement,
as if the azalea branches have pulled aside.

And I find myself at the root of the bush,
which is a mistake I realize, for it is a tree.
I have never seen an azalea trunk so close before,
and I feel bewildered that all these colors have come
from one solid bole.

I reach my neck out, leaving my arms far behind,
and I am slithering like a serpent,
and my lips brush against the dirt briefly
before finding their mark on the trunk itself.


~Hammeh

No comments: