Do you know what bothers me? When Japanese-obsessed-wannabes use incorrect phrases. Most annoying one is "Aishiteru." Okay, most wannabes (and by this I could mean speakers/race/etc/not the point) use it as though it means "I love you." THIS IS NOT THE CASE. Aishiteru is too strong for the meaning "love." To say "I love you" in Japanese, it is "ga suki desu." Which is pronounced "gah-ski-des" okay? Aishiteru literally means to worship someone with love, as in, a love so powerful it practically puts Romeo and Juliet to shame. It is to say that you could not spend a second without thinking of this person, without wishing that you were with them, it is far stronger than love. It is a worship, a give up anything for them situation. It is very hard to explain. It is an archaic form of the phrase "to love" and you can even see it in today's "Shounen-Ai" and "Shoujo-Ai" which mean literally "Boy-Love" and "Girl-Love." But because of its archaic definition of love, it has crossed into English-speakers' phrase for love, and that is wrong. It just really bothers me, that's all.
So, what have we learned? When saying "I love you" in Japanese, always say "ga suki desu." ((And if you really, really LOVE someone, it's "ga daisuki desu" which is pronounced "gah die-ski des" okay?)) And, as a side note, if you
don't like someone/something, it would be "ga kirai desu" which is pronounced "gah key-rye des." If it's not clear who/what you like/love/dislike, as in you are not pointing at it/looking at someone/eating yummy-gross food then you need to specify
what it is that you are talking about.
Here are some examples (English, then romanji, then katakana/hiragana, then with kanji):
Colin, I like you.
Colin ga suki desu. or コリん が すき です。 or コリん が 好き です。
Danny, I hate you.
Danny ga kirai desu. or ダニ が きらい です。 or ダニ が 嫌い です。
Watson, I love you.
Watson ga daisuki desu. or ワツォん が だいすき です。 or ワツォん が 大好き です。
If you have any questions or opinions, ask/talk away~ :]~HammehP.S. - Sorry, all that "Aishiteru" stuff was bothering me. :3
No comments:
Post a Comment