English Love
The world beyond the rim of the tea cup is blurry. It comes from not enough sleep and the sun having just passed the horizon. When I yawn I can feel the muscles stretch in my mouth, and a sharp pain followed by my jaw cracking shows just how few minutes I have been awake.
But still, in this strange situation, where the world of which I always dream has suddenly found reality, I find that my mind could never reproduce the zingy flavor of lemon tea or the cold heat of the sunrise. So when I place the cup tink on the saucer and reach for a buttery English muffin, I can only barely separate the dream from the reality.
And, before I know it, I am watching the crest of the hill that sweeps out over the distance. And my eyes settle on the sheep that mercilessly chew their grass, which blows in the sun like so many waves. The chill feels marvelous against my skin, which I suddenly realize is nearly bare.
The texture of my tongue against the channels of butter in the puckered surface of the English muffin give me the sensation that love is just around the corner. And what better a day than this to taste it?
While I am watching the sloping crest of the hill, broken only by distant tops of willow trees, I feel the grass kiss my feet; and suddenly I am running, and I feel a star-burst of panic screaming that I don't know where I'm going or what I'm running too, but I breathe in the sun and the cold and the lemon and the grass and I am running faster than any panic can hope to keep up with. I have found my moment, and I would rather be lost forever than give it up.
~Hammeh

No comments:
Post a Comment